More than half the UK population has struggled with sleep during the lockdown! (Source: Ipsos MORI 2254 respondents)
With many of us facing financial hardship and living through unsettling pandemic and lockdown measures, two-thirds of the public have reported some negative impact on their sleep. Two in five reported having more vivid dreams, feeling the need to nap during the day, while others are managing as little as five hours per night.
Whatever the case, your sleep patterns may be very different. According to the National Heart, Blood and Lung Institute, “getting enough quality sleep at the right times can help protect your mental health, physical health, quality of life and safety”.
With proper discipline, you can get your sleep schedule back on track;-
1. Unwind before bedtime - For an hour or more before bedtime, avoid any stimulating or stressful activities. Avoid screens, instead, dim the lights, take a relaxing bath, read a book, or listen to calming music. Try and be asleep before 10.30pm
2. Routine – try to incorporate relaxing elements to your bedtime routine. Bath, moisturise, prepare your bedroom. Essential oils such as lavender and chamomile can reduce anxiety and promote sleep.
3. Exercise – Taking part in physical activity is a great way to release both physical and mental tension. Some common exercises include walking, running, swimming, playing a sport, or taking an exercise class.
4. Adjust your diet – Ensure you have a healthy, balanced diet. Lower your caffeine consumption in the afternoon, avoid eating close to bedtime and reduce your sugar and carb intake as it can increase your blood sugar and energy levels.
5. Napping – try to avoid naps during the day, aim to be asleep before 10.30pm and get up at the same time each day.
Feather & Down is the number one sleep brand in the UK offering a full range of sleep-inducing products infused with chamomile and lavender.
After completing a 4-week independent study with 103 people*, Feather & Down Sweet Dreams Pillow Spray, worth £7, was proven to make you feel more calm and tranquil before going to bed allowing you to have a more restful night’s sleep.